Why Avoriaz Ski Resort?
- Located at the heart of the vast Portes du Soleil ski area
- Ski-in/ski-out, car-free village
- Great ski resort for families
- All services & amenities close by
Avoriaz, in the Northern French Alps, is ideally situated at 1800m right in the heart of the Portes du Soleil ski area. Avoriaz uses horse-drawn sleighs and snow-cats to replace cars, transporting people and luggage to and from car parks as well as accommodation (payable locally).
Avoriaz is 100% ski-in/ski-out and the fully pedestrianised streets make it really easy to get around on foot, ski or sledge in complete safety. Avoriaz is possibly the most modern and distinctive ski resort in the Portes du Soleil, due to its bold and dynamic architecture and dramatic cliff-top location.
The scenery of Avoriaz is outstanding, with snow-covered paths and pistes giving a real alpine feel and the most breath-taking panoramas in the French Alps with views of the Dents du Midi and Dents Blanches mountains. Due to the altitude and an average of 8 metres’ snowfall per winter, Avoriaz is a very snow-sure ski resort.
Avoriaz is split into 3 districts: Falaise, Crosats and Dromonts.
Since 2010 Avoriaz has gone through the biggest changes since its creation some 40 years ago. Developers have created a brand new area to Avoriaz and the ski resort itself, which consists of 8 buildings housing a total of 450 stylish ski apartments including the L’Amara, Atria Crozats and L’Electra residences. The architecture is very dynamic and the design theory is smarter rather than taller and the buildings have distinctive jagged roofs, mirroring the dramatic cliffs above. The wood cladding blends in perfectly with the rest of the ski resort of Avoriaz, yet the interiors are dramatically different.
For your safety, Avoriaz is a car-free pedestrianised ski resort. The covered car park at the entrance to the resort offers plenty of payable parking spaces. We recommend that you book underground parking spaces well in advance. There is also a payable outdoor car park where no reservation is necessary.
AVORIAZ SKI AREA
The immense Portes du Soleil ski area of 650km consists of no fewer than 14 ski resorts between France and Switzerland:
- La Chapelle d’Abondance
- Les Gets
- St Jean d’Aulps in France plus
- Les Crosets
- Val d’Illiez in Switzerland
The Portes du Soleil offers a vast and varied choice of ski terrain, with something for all levels and abilities. The excellent mountain restaurants spread across this impressive ski area allow you to sample the best Savoyard and Swiss cuisine. At the central and highest point of the Portes du Soleil ski area, you will find the lovely and perfectly located ski resort of Avoriaz.
Skiing starts on your doorstep in Avoriaz, with snow-sure slopes there is something for every level of skier, with the main Portes du Soleil circuit easily enjoyed by beginners and intermediates, along with several challenging runs through tough terrain.
Of the 14 ski resorts of the immense ski area of the Portes du Soleil, Avoriaz has the good fortune to occupy the central position, so skiers can go from France to Switzerland for a change of culture.
Additional ski fact info 2018/19, main ski info in resort facts box at top of page
Avoriaz - 36 lifts, 49 slopes:
Green slopes: 4
Blue slopes: 26
Red slopes: 14
Black slopes: 6
Avoriaz is great for beginners and families. The impressive ‘Village des Enfants’ will welcome youngsters who are keen to experience the sensations of skiing. This 25-acre ski school learning area has been especially designed for children to have fun and learn in complete safety: there are fenced and controlled pistes with bumps, slides, mini tracks, coloured runs, small jumps, magic carpet, and a beginners’ teleski.
The beginners’ slope Ecole Piste next to the La Chapelle Park is great for first timers making a start. There are also various blue runs which vary in difficulty providing runs for absolute beginners as well as progressing and improving low level skiers.
For beginners, you can buy in a resort a 5-hour, 1, 2 or 3-day pass, ideal to begin with and to enjoy the Avoriaz ski area. This pass leads to Avoriaz beginners slopes and gives access to Prodains cable car; Plateau, Tour, Zore, Serraussaix, Proclou, Léchère and Dromonts 1 and 2 chairlifts; Trashers, Ecoles 1 and 2, Baron, Barmettes and Chapelle draglifts, and Super-Morzine and Ardent gondolas.
The Proclou, Gernues, Seraussaix and Qu’mont blue slopes are great for progressing beginners as they are easy and gentle, providing the perfect terrain to build confidence and ability. If you are having ski school lessons during your stay in Avoriaz, these slopes are perfect for trying out and improving what you have been taught that day.
With the majority of the Avoriaz ski slopes being blue and red, there is plenty to keep the intermediates happy and content. By taking the Lac des Intrets lift you will find some demanding blues - Bleue d’Arare and Bleue du Lac - which have good, steady cruising but also have some steeper sections to offer a bit of excitement. Added to this, the views across the village are glorious. Take the Fornet lift to cruise the Bleue du Fornet run and a couple of reds which will bring you back down to the lifts in Combe de Chavanette.
If it’s long, challenging, thigh-burning pistes and bumpy mogul fields you are looking for in Avoriaz then you will not be disappointed! Head to the Hauts Fort area on the Avoriaz/Super Morzine lengthy and seriously steep black runs – this area alone should keep you busy all day. The Combe du Machon has very challenging moguls.
Advanced skiers should also try the Pointe de Nyon and Aigle Rouge for their warm-up before the try the moguls of the Aigle Noir. Accessed via the Pointe chairlift.
The Chamossière chairlift will take you to the bumpy Creux black and the Arbis red which starts off very steep with moguls before opening into a high speed run taking you right back down to the Grand Pré area.
The Chanvannes bowl is located just above Les Gets and offers 2 great bumpy black runs called Rosta and Yeti.
‘Mur Suisse’ (Aka the Swiss Wall) is a famous black run which links Chavanette to Planachaux in Switzerland. The vertical drop here is more than 300m, with a slope reaching 80% in some places.
Keen off-piste enthusiasts can enjoy skiing in total security in 5 different Snowcross areas of Avoriaz:
- The Frontalière at the top of the Mossettes chairlift (1150m long), a wide route down the mountain’s flanks.
- Brochaux (1340m long), a naturally bumpy wall accessible by the Brochaux chairlift.
- The Combe des Marmottes (2080m long), a playground that’s easy to get to, via the Fornet chairlift.
- The iconic Crozats run (3122m long), a big wild coomb which starts from the Hauts Forts and joins the world cup downhill run down to Prodains, from where you can return to Avoriaz either by chairlift or cable car.
- The Pschott consists of several successive natural canyons. These Snowcross slopes are more technical than the neighbouring La Marmotte Snowcross slopes.
With just a small amount of effort, some fantastic off-piste skiing can be found in Avoriaz including narrow couloirs and open powder fields, pitches and faces. As always, to get the very best out of the whole Portes du Soleil ski area and to ensure your complete safety, we would strongly recommend hiring a mountain guide or instructor for off-piste skiing.
Snowboarders will enjoy 6 areas in Avoriaz especially dedicated and designed just for them:
- ‘La Chapelle Snowpark’: for beginner to advanced riders. Features various kickers, rails and boxes. The modules are often changed to keep the park fresh, interesting and exciting for all. Ski lift: Teleski de la Chapelle. The Chapelle Snowpark is also equipped with video cameras to record your jumps. Simply scan your lift pass, do your jump, scan your lift pass again and watch your jump. You can then record your phone number and have the video sent to your smartphone to share!
- The half-pipe: has now been made even bigger and better to become the ‘Super-pipe’! For intermediate to advanced riders. 120m long with walls 6m high!
- Arare Snowpark: for intermediate to advanced riders. This snow park is time-served and was created in 1993. Offers the more experienced red and black kickers, engaging rails and boxes, banked slalom course and the popular Big Air Bag to practise your tricks in complete safety. Hosts events such as the O’Neill Pro Freestyle, the Butcher, the Fabulous Tournament and the Nixon Jib Fest.
- Boarder-cross: for beginner to intermediate riders. Blue to warm-up and red to challenge. Located next to the Arare Snowpark.
- Le Lil’Stash: for beginners. Allows the younger riders and beginners to have their fun too. Located on the edge of the Proclou slope.
- ‘The Burton Kids Parkway’: for beginners. This snow park is especially for children with small obstacles, first slides and jumps. Located in the Falaise area.
- ‘The Stash’: for intermediate to advanced riders, ideal for adults and children to share the fun. This impressive giant ecological snow park is one of a kind and is situated in the middle of a large expanse of un-groomed snow in the forested Lindarets area. Part tree run and part terrain park, The Stash has been named the World’s Most Exhilarating Ski Run by a panel of the world’s top ski and snowboard experts put together by broadcast giant CNN. Wooden elements include: a wall for vertical sliding, logs and tree trunk obstacles, wooden tables for sliding, jumps from paths and rocks, trees bent like rainbows, snow shock-absorbers, wooden toboggans, ramps and natural obstacles. Length: 1.3km. Total vertical descent: 470m. Reached via the Prolays chairlift.
In total the whole ski area of Portes du Soleil has an impressive 243km (151 miles) of trails. Avoriaz alone has 45km (28 miles) of cross-country trails, all of which are free of charge and easily accessible from the Falaise area of Avoriaz.
From Avoriaz and Morzine you have access to 4 cross-country areas, all offering something different:
- Lake Montriond offers 10km of Canadian-style runs.
- The Pléney-Chavannes area offers 18km of forest runs.
- The Manche Valley offers 25km of challenging circuits.
- The Parc Naturel des Crêtes de Zorre offers 47km for all levels.
Avoriaz Ski Verhuur
Special offers: *7 days for the price of 6. Free Skis/snowboard & boots (Blue/Red) for party leaders of groups of 10 or more all taking equipment. 1 Free helmet per child aged 6 and under for every adult booking skis or snowboards & boots (must be under same booking reference and requested on form above). Other duration prices on request - Cross Country ski prices on request.
We have 4 conveniently located hire shops in Avoriaz for all your ski and snowboard equipment needs. We offer competitive prices and special offers are also available. Pre-booking your equipment hire will allow you to save precious skiing time once in the resort and means you can budget for your ski holiday, knowing that it is already book and paid for.
We hebben Skiset geselecteerd, om zeker te weten dat alleen de hoogste standaard materiaal en service geleverd wordt voor alle ski niveau's. Meer informatie over Ski Verhuur hier.
You have the choice to purchase a lift pass which covers the whole ski area or the smaller local ski area. We suggest that you purchase the larger area lift pass, unless a complete beginner. Lift passes are collected in resort.
Avoriaz Ski School
Ski school for children is available to book from 4 years to 12 years, in Avoriaz, with Ski Collection.
Ski School: Please note that lesson times are subject to change right until the last minute. Outside French school holidays the ski school reserves the right to cancel group lessons should numbers be insufficient. For peak periods (22/12-4/1, 9/2-8/3 & 6/4-26/4) we strongly recommend that you book as early as possible and in any case at least 6 weeks prior to the required dates. Morning lessons tend to get booked up first and therefore we may only be able to offer afternoon classes within 6 weeks of departure. In some resorts English speaking instructors may not always be available, particularly at peak times.
We cannot always guarantee that prices will be cheaper than in resort. When ski packs prices are calculated, the currency is bought at the exchange rates that apply at the time. You can be assured that once you have booked your extras, if the pound depreciates, you will not be charged more for your ski packs, enabling you to budget for your holiday in advance.
In 2012 and 2013 Avoriaz was very proud to be voted ‘Best Family Resort’ at the World Snow Awards. This is thanks to a combination of family-friendly elements the resort provides, such as:
- Being 100% ski-in/ski-out with pedestrianised/car-free streets
- All resort services and amenities are close by and within easy walking
- A 5 hectare ‘Village des Enfants’ learning zone conveniently located 300m from all accommodation
- Excellent ski school facilities
- Free lift passes for children under 5 years old with the child ski pass goes up to the age of 16 years
- The ‘Kids Parkway’ and ‘Lil’stach’ snowparks are specifically designed for children aged 6-12 years
- The recently built ‘Riglet Park’ offers a snowboard learning programme for children as young as 3 years
- 80m long floodlit sledging run plus others dotted around the resort
- Snow sculpture competitions and other fun events for children and the whole family
- The ‘Kids Zone’ with the ‘Aquariaz’ water-park is a colourful area equipped with 2 play zones: 1 for babies and toddlers with water jets, fountains and water swing and 1 for children aged 4-8 years with water cannons, mini-flumes, water slide and giant water bucket
- The light show at Christmas and the Snow Carnival which lasts for 5 weeks
- All in all, Avoriaz is perfect for families!
Tuition for Young Children
In a resort where the only vehicles are sleighs, children are kings in Avoriaz. In this ideal setting Annie Famose has designed and built the Village des Enfants, a leisure centre and ski & snowboard school. Situated in the heart of Avoriaz, the Village des Enfants welcomes children from the age of 3 from 9:00 am. to 5:30 pm. More than 100 instructors and supervisors are available to teach young skiers and to show them all that this exceptional resort has to offer. Children are offered lunch and tea in the Village restaurant and there are various après ski activities adapted to different age groups.
Burton has created a series of Riglet snow parks with small hills, low boxes and mini-rails, tailored for children between three and five. This winter they have set up a Riglet Park in Avoriaz, France, at the Village des Enfants, though for safety reasons children can only use it with an instructor. Tammy Esten from Mint Snowboarding, a ski school in Morzine, specialises in teaching under-fives. She says: "We are getting younger and younger kids wanting to learn to snowboard. It really is amazing to see how quickly they progress with the right tuition, and the latest technology has been key."
There are loads of fun activities for children and the whole family in Avoriaz, including the impressive Aquariaz water complex offering hours of swimming fun, ice skating, bowling, cinema, dog-sledging, horse-drawn sleigh rides, snow-shoeing, piste-grommer machine outings and not forgetting of course the guaranteed fun and laughter of sledging!
The ‘P’tits Loups’ nursery takes care of children aged 3 months – 3 years old (and up to 5 years old during certain periods). The fully qualified staff provide a calm and pleasant surrounding for your little ones to enjoy activities such as snow games on the large sunny terrace and fun/educational activities inside. Meals can also be provided on request and quiet sleeping rooms are available. The nursery is open 08:45 – 17:30. Approximate cost: €26/child/half day; €46/child/full day; €143/child/6 half days & €253/child/6 full days.
Apart from the obvious skiing and snowboarding, Avoriaz offers a vast array of snow-sports, thrilling winter activities and indoor leisure facilities for all ages…..
The amazing 2400m2 ‘Aquariaz’ water complex in Avoriaz is the biggest swimming pool complex in the Alps! The lush vegetation and rock décor throughout the main chill-out section creates a relaxing aquatic paradise whilst the colourful water-play areas are fantastic for the children. Facilities include: a large swimming & paddling pools, a flowing river pool, water playhouse with slides, water cannons and a giant water bucket, the Slidewinder flume is for the more adventurous bathers: from 10m up you sit in a rubber ring and slide down a halfpipe, massage benches, climbing walls and an outdoor Jacuzzi heated to 34°! Aquariaz also boasts stunning panoramic views of Avoriaz through its ceiling-to-floor windows. The centre is open every day and swimmers are accepted until 19:15. Approximate cost: Children aged 3-4 years: €3; Children aged 5-11 years: €5-€7; Adults: €8-€10; Child weekly pass: €30 & Adult weekly pass: €40 (the weekly passes offer unlimited admission during your weeks stay). Children 0-2 years are free.
Plus: ‘AquariazSport’- various 45 minute classes such as Aqua-Zumba, Aqua-Step, Aqua-palming, Aqua-Punching and Aqua-Slim and held at 10:30 from Monday to Friday. Approximate cost: €12/class or €50/week.
Contact: Aquariaz, 143 Route des Rennes, 74110 Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 24 42.
The 450m2 outdoor family skating rink provides great fun for children as well as adults. It is located in the heart of the resort centre (Promenade du Festival) and is open Sunday – Friday, 16:00 – 20:00. Support stands are available for younger skaters and skate disco evenings are organised for the teenagers. Approximate cost: €5/child & €6/adult.
Avoriaz has a 2-lane bowling alley with pool tables, driving simulators, video games and karaoke evenings. Open 14:00 – 04:00. Located on Place du Dromonts. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 06 77.
Avoriaz has a 2 hall cinema with digital sound and images, movies in 3D, all the national releases and all the best movies of the moment! Approximate cost: €4/child under 13 years; €6/teenager 14-17 years; €8.50/adult 18-65 years; €7.50/senior over 65 years or €28/5 ticket pass. Located within the Portes du Soleil Residence on Promenade du Festival. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 09 46.
‘Deep Nature Spa’ – Amara Village, Residence Suraya, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 84 53 07. Website: www.deepnature.fr. Terrace with outdoor Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room with peeling cabin, five treatment rooms (one of which is a double), multi-sensory showers and a relaxation room.
‘Avoriaz Spa’, 7 Place du Snow, Pharmacie-Parfumerie des Portes du Soleil, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 29 31.
Numerous beauty treatments and massages available.
‘Espace Thalgo’, Hotel des Dromonts, 40 place des Dromonts, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 08 11.
There are 2 squash courts in Avoriaz, located within the Immeuble Les Fontaines Blanches building on Promenade du Festival. Open 09:00 – 17:00. Bookings are made at the Tourist Office. Approximate cost: €12/30 minutes.
Mountain biking…..in the snow!
Short downhill mountain bike runs, ascent by cable car and mulled wine at the end! Free introductory session every Sunday evening. Approximate cost: €50/2 hours.
Contact: Rustine Mountain Biking School, Le Plateau, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)6 14 52 41 82. Website: www.rustine.fr
This new snowsports concept is a kind of snow kart with a seat 20 cm off the ground. It's a great après-ski activity for lots of fun with your family or friends.
Contact: ESF Avoriaz Ski School. Takes place on the Crot slope. Website: www.esf-avoriaz.com OR Evolution 2 School, 31 Place des Ruches, Avoriaz. Approximate cost: €20/person. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 02 18. Website: www.ecoledeglisse.com
A 3km descent with a head torch to light the way, accompanied by instructors. Ascent by cable car. Minimum age: 16 years old. Approximate cost: €20/person.
Contact: LCS, Place Jean Vuarnet, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 09 27 43. Website: www.lcs-france.com OR Evolution 2 School, 31 Place des Ruches, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 02 18. Website: www.ecoledeglisse.com
Pleasure flights / sightseeing flights / skier pick-ups. Trip suggestion: Tour of Mont Blanc from Avoriaz. Prices from €35€ to €2075.
Contact:Mont-Blanc Helicopter, Altiport d’Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 22 44. Website: www.mbh.fr
This Scandinavian sport is fantastic for nature lovers: skiing whilst being pulled along by a horse! Minimum age: 6 years old. Approximate cost: Introductory session €32/person or forest run €52/person.
Contact: Ecurie des Frasses, Col de la Joux Verte, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)6 86 07 31 32. Website: www.ecuriedesfrasses.com
Amazing new winter activity in the Gouffre d’Avoriaz sinkhole. Explore the caves for a truly unique experience. Minimum age: 13 years old. Approximate cost: €50/person.
Contact: Evolution 2 School, 31 Place des Ruches, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 02 18. Website: www.ecoledeglisse.com
Speed-riding & Paragliding
Evolution 2 School, 31 Place des Ruches, Avoriaz. Tandem flights above the snowy mountains equipped with a small sail and a pair of skis, alternating between flying through the air and skiing on the snow! Approximate cost: €70/person. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 02 18. Website: www.ecoledeglisse.com
Portes du Soleil School, 614 Avenue de Joux Plane, 74110 Morzine: This school has been going since 1989 and offers a wide selection of tandem slights in the Portes du Soleil area. Open to everyone. Approximate cost: €70/person for paragliding and €85/person for speed-riding. Tel: +33 (0)6 12 55 51 31. Website: www.morzineparapente.com
Aero-Bi School, 331 Chemin de la Salle, 74110 Morzine. Experience the thrills and pure enjoyment of paragliding and speed-riding, all in complete safety. Approximate cost: €70/person. Tel: +33 (0 )6 26 35 48 06. Website: www.aero-bi.com
Amazing experience of scuba-diving under the ice. Sound and light will be transformed by the ice for the show of a lifetime. Minimum age: 15 years old. Approximate cost: €75/person.
Contact:Takamaka, 1 Place du Port, 74500 Evian. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 73 80 98. Website: www.leman.takamaka.fr
Brilliant fun for all the family! Be transported by these amazing animals and take in all the stunning snowy scenery around you.
Contact: Au Malamute Service, Galerie des Hauts-Forts, Avoriaz. Runs especially for children aged 1-12 years old. Approximate cost: €15/15 minutes for children 1-4 years; €30/15 minutes for children 5-12 years & €50/30 minutes for children 5-12 years. Tel: +33 (0)6 46 36 04 76. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org OR Dog Sledding Adventures, Col de la Joue Verte, Avoriaz. Introduction to driving a dog team and forest runs through stunning scenery. Approximate cost: €95/adult/half-day; €140/adult full day & €45/child 5-11 years. Tel: +33 (0)6 80 93 26 20. E-mail: email@example.com
Horse-drawn Sleigh Rides
Guided tours of Avoriaz, a fine example of 20th century heritage. 6 themed rides. Prices from €15. Located at the entrance to the resort.
Contact: Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 01 55. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
ESF Avoriaz Ski School, Place Jean Vuarnet, Avoriaz. Discover the pleasure of Nordic walking in Avoriaz and the Portes du Soleil. Group lessons, lasting 2 hours (minimum 4 people). Afghan walking lessons possible on demand. Approximate cost: €26/1 afternoon or €125/6 afternoons. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 09 27 43. Website: http://www.esf-avoriaz.com/en/#!wide-open-spaces/nordic-walking/ OR Evolution 2 School, 31 Place des Ruches, Avoriaz. Energetic walking with poles along snowy winter walking tracks, alternating between forest trails and sunny paths. Prices from: €15. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 02 18. Website: www.ecoledeglisse.com
Fun for all the family! Guided snow-shoe rambles exploring the forests of Avoriaz and spotting animals that live there, in untouched countryside. Approximate cost: €25/person.
Contact: ESF Avoriaz Ski School, Place du Téléphérique, Village des Hauts-Forts, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 05 65. Website: www.esf-avoriaz.com OR Evolution 2 School, 31 Place des Ruches, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 02 18. Website: www.ecoledeglisse.com
One-hour snowshoe hiking from the resort and dinner around the fireplace in an igloo or tipi. Initiation to igloo construction also possible. Prices from €55/person (snowshoes, guide and meal included)
Contact: Evolution 2 School, 31 Place des Ruches, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 02 18. Website: www.ecoledeglisse.com
Set off along the walking trails around the area on one of these little two-wheeled electric vehicles, with dinner in an alpine refuge. Approximate cost: €45/person.
Contact: Evolution 2 School, 31 Place des Ruches, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 02 18. Website: www.ecoledeglisse.com
Supervised evening trips on a snowmobile, through the Avoriaz forests on an amazing Arctic-style escape. Approximate cost: €90/person.
Contact: Avoscoot, La Plagnette, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)6 08 22 18 15. Website: www.avoscoot.com
White Trail Running
Accompanied trail running on snow, for fans of running who want to try it in amazing surroundings.
Coontact: Evolution 2 School, 31 Place des Ruches, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 02 18. Website: www.ecoledeglisse.com
Discover the mountain in a different way, sitting in a piste-grooming machine! Approximate cost: €50/person for a 1 hour run.
Contact: Tel: +33 (0)6 08 22 18 15 or see the tourist office for more details.
Avoriaz Resort News and Events 2018/19
- Fat bike - as part of its partnership with Easybike and its brand of electric mountain bike MATRA, Avoriaz is offering eFatBike this winter! The eFatbike is an electrically assisted bike with oversized wheels for good grip on the snow. A practice offering the joys of electric cycling on the snow trails
- Lil'stash - Burton Snowboard and the resort have developed a real STASH, dedicated to children from 4 to 14 years old, with modules and scenography adapted to their age. LiL’STASH is located in the area of Proclou and unfolds on a landscape made of natural valleys, which continues up in the forest. As with his big brother STASH, we find in LiL’STASH a succession of modules of snow and wood: mini boardercross, snake run, kicker size XS, whoops, an area for slides and boxes, area “snow land” To make turns, 1 wooden bridge, and an area in the forest
- Kids electric snowscoot at Mountain E-Park - children can now discover new sensations of gliding and learn to drive snowscoots, adapted to their age, in a closed area: a unique activity in the ski resort. Dedicated for children from 5 to 12 years old, it is a fun activity that is environmentally friendly. Located in the Crozats district next to the Alhéna residences on the Avoriaz plateau. Mountain E-Park are the first professionals (sports educators teaching all motorized sports) in France to offer electric snowscoots. For 12 to 16 years old, they offer larger, more powerful snowscoots
- New ski touring piste - Avoriaz is opening the first slope 100% dedicated to the practice of ski touring. You can reach the submit of “Lac Intret” ski lift by Arare Crest. It starts at the “Jean Vuarnet” square and pass by a trail reserved only for the practice of ski touring and splitboard
- Adventure circuit - In Morzine-Avoriaz, the footbridge that links the two sides of the Dranse River now has an adventure circuit under it, which is 35 metres high!
- Folie Douce - the latest arrival. La Folie Douce in Avoriaz at 1800m, is a new place where all generations can have a great time. The Folie Douce concept is geared to all clients, families, the young and not-so-young. The new chalet is in keeping with what Avoriaz is and has always been: unique and timeless. Open every day from 8am-midnight. La Folie Douce is located on the slopes at the entrance to the pedestrianised resort of Avoriaz. Whether you’re a skier or a walker, take a break for lunch on the sun terrace or inside in the modern and elegant setting.
Check out the Avoriaz Tourist Office website for more resort information and news: www.avoriaz.com.
Apres-Ski, Bars & Restaurants
Avoriaz has a small selection of renowned high altitude restaurants for a glorious lunch-stop on the slopes…
- La Crémaillère, Les Lindarêts, Village des Lindarêts, Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 11 68.
- Les Crêtes de Zorre, Super-Morzine. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 79 24 73.
- Restaurant La Ferme, Les Lindarêts. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 09 60.
There is a good selection of approximately 25 restaurants in Avoriaz, with something for all tastes and budgets - from gastronomic cuisine and rustic mountain-style restaurants to value for money bistros and pizzerias…
- Folie Douce - the latest arrival in 2018. La Folie Douce in Avoriaz at 1800m, is a new place where all generations can have a great time. The Folie Douce concept is geared to all clients, families, the young and not-so-young. The new chalet is in keeping with what Avoriaz is and has always been: unique and timeless. Open every day from 8am-midnight. La Folie Douce is located on the slopes at the entrance to the pedestrianised resort of Avoriaz. Whether you’re a skier or a walker, take a break for lunch on the sun terrace or inside in the modern and elegant setting. Generous by nature, la Petite Cuisine is the chalet’s self-service restaurant offering a selection of simple and tasty meals for healthy appetites. Soak up the unique market-style ambience where the rich colours and aromas will whet your appetite! Open every day from 1130am – 3pm. La Fruitière in Avoriaz is a gourmet treat for foodies thanks to its delicious cuisine. Let yourself be tempted by a wealth of carefully constructed dishes made with fresh products from the Savoie and Switzerland. La Fruitière is open for lunch from 12-3pm. La Fruitière is also open for dinner from 7pm – an intimate ambience, the best tables for dinner. Clubbing from 2pm-6.30pm with no need to worry about when the lifts close. From its exclusive south-facing sun terrace, with an enormous central bar, VIP area and DJ cabin inside the chalet, all the ingredients are in place for some amazing après-ski, indoor or outdoor!
Avoriaz boasts a lively après-ski with approximately 10 good bars in the evenings plus some terraced cafes to soak up the sun during the day........
Le Lodge, located in the Amara area. Le Chapka, located in the Village de la Falaise. L’Amara Bar, located in the Surya building. Le Yeti, located on Route de l’Alpage. La Cabane, located on Place des Ruches (opposite the Village des Enfants learners zone). Le Fantastique Lounge bar, located on Promenade du Festival. Lounge bar Hotel des Dromonts, located within the hotel on Place des Dromonts. Le Shooters, located on Place du Snow. Le Globe Trotters Café, located on Place du Snow. Le Bistro, located within the shopping centre on Promenade du Festival.
There is one club in Avoriaz: Le Yak Night Club. Here you can dance until 5am in an amazing electro-dance atmosphere. A unique venue where you can meet young people from all over Europe. Located within the Snow shopping centre, on Place du Snow.
There are a range of amenities in Avoriaz including 3 supermarkets, 2 local produce shops, 3 bakeries, 2 banks, 1 post office, 1 car garage, gift and souvenir shops, shoe shop, newsagents, clothes and sports shops and a hairdressers.
‘Carrefour Montagne’, 143 Promenade du Festival, 74110 Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 16 78 Website: www.carrefourmontagne-avoriaz.com
Open every day 08:00 – 20:30. Home delivery service. Raclette, fondue & pierrade set hire available.
‘Sherpa Centre’, Snow shopping centre, 61 Place du Snow, 74110 Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 03 31. Website: www.sherpa.net
Open every day 08:00 – 20:15 (until 20:30 on Saturdays). Home delivery service.
‘Sherpa Falaise’, Supérette des Neiges, Village de la Falaise, 103 Passage du Malinka, 74110 Avoriaz Tel.: +33 (0)4 50 74 73 25.
Open every day 08:00 – 20:00 (until 20:30 on Saturdays). Home delivery service.
The medical centre is located near the welcome desk of the resort. Doctors, nurses, physiotherapist and osteopath.
Centre Médical - Près de l'accueil station
221 Rue des traineaux
74110 AvoriazTel: +33 (0)4 50 74 05 42
Thonon and Cluses.
Getting to Avoriaz, France
From Calais, take A26 Motorway to Reims and Troyes, then A5 Motorway to Dijon, then A39 motorway to Lons-le-Saulnier and Bourg-en-Bresse, then A40 Motorway also named ‘Autoroute Blanche’ heading Genève/Turin. Exit Motorway at Cluses Scionzier (exit no 18) and follow signs for Taninges on D902, drive through Taninges and Les Gets following that road. Turn right on D338 and enter Morzine. Drive through this village following signs to Avoriaz. As Avoriaz is a car-free resort at the entrance of the resort, pull over on the left hand-side next to the covered walkway where you can unload your luggage before parking in the outdoor or covered car parks.
GPS: 46° 11'40.01'' N / 6° 46'09.48'' E
Geneva to Avoriaz: 65 miles, approximately 1hr 30.
Chambery to Avoriaz: 140 miles, approximately 1hr 55.
Lyon to Avoriaz: 140 miles, approximately 2hrs 30.
Private taxi transfers from airports to Avoriaz are pre-bookable via Ski Collection! See our airport & station transfers page for more information.
Taking the Eurostar from London couldn’t be easier. We offer 2 options: direct Ski Train (St Pancreas or Ashford to Moûtiers or Bourg-St-Maurice) or Eurostar Beyond (with a change at Paris).
See our train services page for more information.
The nearest train stations to Avoriaz are Thonon-les-Bains and Cluses. www.sncf.com
Coach transfers are available from Thonon-les-Bains and Cluses train stations, through Agence SAT.
For arrivals into Thonon-les-Bains contact: +33 (0)4 50 71 00 88.
For arrivals into Cluses contact: +33 (0)4 50 98 01 67.
‘Altibus’ offers a bus transfer from Genève-Cointrin Airport (Geneva)to the ski resort of Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)8 20 32 03 68. Website: www.altibus.com
Ski Collection can arrange very competitive car hire at all airports, train stations and other town locations. 7 day rental ranges from £230-£549 (any other duration possible).
See our car hire page for more information.
Shuttle Services in Avoriaz:
Sledges and tracked vehicles are available 7 days a week to run you between the car parks at the entrance of the resort and your accommodation. They will also help you get around the resort, if you don’t feel like walking or skiing that is!
Approximate cost: Sledges: €5-€14 depending on distance (€3 extra for luggage).
Night shuttle service (19:00 – 08:00): €9-€11 (including luggage).
Resort Parking in Avoriaz:
To preserve the environment and ensure your safety and well being, Avoriaz is a car-free resort. The car parks are located at the entrance to the resort, where you leave your car for the duration of your stay. To reach your accommodation there are horse-drawn sleighs and tracked vehicles (payable). Resort staff will welcome you in the car parks to facilitate your arrival and transfer.
The secure outdoor car park has 900 spaces and is located 300m from the entrance to the resort. Approximate cost: €65/car/week. No reservation is necessary. To reach your accommodation from the outdoor car park you also have the option to take the Prodains Express cable car, which runs every 20 minutes from 09:20 – 12:40 & 13:20 – 18:30 and takes just 4 minutes.
The secure covered car park has 1697 spaces and is located at the entrance to the resort. 2 sections have a height limit of 1.90m and the other 2.30m. Approximate cost: €87/car/week. You can pre-book online via: www.avoriazparkings.com or call +33 (0)4 50 74 07 76.
There is a car garage in Avoriaz called Garage Mécanique: 23 Route de l’Accueil, 74110 Avoriaz. Tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 03 19.
Portes du Soleil resort season dates
Portes du Soleil ski area is open: Saturday 23/12/17 - 22/04/18 (Sunday)
Linga/Pré-la-Joux and liason with Avoriaz is open: 16/12/17 - 22/12/17